St Stephen's History

St Stephen’s was built in 1890 as a ‘chapel of ease’, to meet the worshipping needs of the communities living between the parish churches in Ockbrook and Elvaston. A fine, red-brick building, it is plainly but elegantly furnished to provide a warm welcome to worshippers.

Features include a wrought iron screen, which is in part 17th century work by Robert Bakewell, glass by Archibald J Davies in the tradition of William Morris and a 17th century oak chair, believed to have come via All Saints’ in Ockbrook.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

With a surrounding garden, flourishing with mature trees and bushes, St Stephen’s is a peaceful haven for those seeking rest from a busy world.